Campus Life

Humans of Oglethorpe: Natasha Byrd

Natasha Byrd, 1 Year and 4 months

Assistant Director of Residence Life

“It’s okay to take time and to breathe.”

“I have a doctorate in physical therapy, but I’m not practicing in that. My baby here is health promotion and wellness.

I love health equity and chatting with people about health communication. Pause for Paws is probably my favorite thing I do. I followed in my mom’s footsteps because she does physical therapy. I loved the one-on-one interaction I got with people through that.

I think I live in the awkward. The good thing about student affairs is you get any number of experiences throughout the day, so I won’t say that I don’t have some social anxiety and some difficulty speaking, but I enjoy people and psychology. My undergrad was in neuroscience. I just love to understand how people work and have conversations around that.

One thing I’d tell anyone is resilience through self-care. Take time for yourself. We live in a busy culture, and we feel like if we’re not busy, then we’re not worthy. It’s okay to take time and to breathe. Academics are important, but you’re not your grades.”

Humans of Oglethorpe was created by a Pegasus Creative student intern in University Communications at Oglethorpe. Inspired by Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton, this series will share personal stories and perspectives from across campus. Everyone has a story and everyone is human. Would you like to be involved in this series? Email Bailey Burns.