Commencement

Senior Class President Randi Parks describes her college experience on WABE’s Closer Look

It was a dream come true for soon-to-be Oglethorpe graduate, senior class president and Fulbright Teaching Assistant to Belgium Randi Parks ’24 to appear on Atlanta’s signature radio news program Closer Look with Rose Scott on WABE FM 90.1.

Parks went into the studio with Scott as a part of Closer Look’s series of profiles on local college graduates May 13, kicking off senior week for the senior class president from Roswell. The nearly 15-minute interview was even more meaningful for her because Scott allowed Parks’ mother, Ayanna Chambliss, to come into the studio to observe in person.

Two women pose with a colorful mural in the background

Randi Parks, left, and her mother, Ayanna Chambliss, at the WABE FM 90.1 studios in Atlanta.

“My mom is a really big inspiration for a lot of what I do,” said Parks, fighting back tears. “I really think she raised me in a way that I knew I could do anything.”

Parks will be delivering the senior class president address at Commencement on May 18. Scott, who will be receiving an honorary doctor of letters degree from Oglethorpe, will deliver the keynote address.

“My speech is halfway done,” Scott said. “I don’t know about you. Is your speech done because I have a ways to go.”

Scott said she didn’t want to “preach” but hoped to give the graduates some encouragement.

“Part of my message will be to fill your cup now,” Scott said. “You can change the world now as opposed to waiting 20 or 30 years.”

The full interview is available on the Closer Look website.