Career Development

[WATCH] International studies student brings a global perspective to internship at The Carter Center

International studies student Randi Parks ’24 recently shared about her experience interning at The Carter Center in Atlanta. Founded by Georgia native former President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn, this nongovernmental not-for-profit organization is committed to building lasting solutions to end violence and prevent disease around the world.

As an intern at this global entity, Parks’s work contributes directly to outreach efforts in multiple countries. A fluent French speaker, Parks focuses much of her work on gathering news from Sierra Leone.

An aspiring international lawyer, Parks acknowledges the importance of understanding different cultures and thinking critically — skills she strengthened while at Oglethorpe.

“A few classes that have definitely helped prepare me for this internship and my future career would definitely be my Core classes,” says Parks. “The different topics that we’re discussing in terms of critically thinking about things in the world…I’ve been able to really apply them in my perspective to my work here at The Carter Center.

Learn more about Parks’s internship in the video above.