In recognition of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Day of Service on Monday, January 16, we invite you to engage in a week-long donation and volunteer drive in support of Petey’s Pantry.
Petey’s Pantry has served hundreds of Oglethorpe students since its launch in October 2021. OU students use the pantry as a source of quality, nutritious food, especially during periods before extended breaks such as Thanksgiving or the winter holiday. Supporting the pantry is a great way to come together in honor of community and social action.
From Monday, January 16 – Monday, January 23 (during regular business hours) members of the OU community are encouraged to drop off shelf-stable items and personal care products for the food pantry. The pantry can currently accept smaller items that need to be refrigerated. Please do not donate items past the sell-by or best-by dates.
Drop-off locations are the Student Commons Front Desk, TLCC Classroom 106, and Philip Weltner Library front desk. See the list of requested items below, or reference Petey’s Pantry Amazon Wish List.
On Thursday, January 26 from 2:00 to 4:00 pm in the Student Commons, join OU volunteers to put together personal care packages for OU students. To volunteer, RSVP at [email protected].
Pantry Items Requested
- Food appropriate for diverse diets, including halal, kosher, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, etc.
- Variety of canned fruits and vegetables
- Microwavable rice
- Stocks, broths, bases, and sauces of all kinds
- Canned soup
- Boxed mac + cheese, other ready-to-eat meals
- Breakfast items (cereals, oatmeal, grits, granola, etc.)
- Boxed milk, evaporated milk, and unsweetened alternative kinds of milk
- Cooking oils
- Fruit preserves and spreads
- Can openers
- Household Items (e.g., bar soap, toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, menstrual products, mouthwash, variety of shampoos/conditioners (including curly/textured hair friendly), deodorants, facial tissues, shaving cream.
Items for Personal Care Packages
- Notes of encouragement and affirmation
- Tea/instant coffee (some for sleep and relaxation, others for attention and focus)
- Snack items (popcorn, protein or granola bars, chocolate, sugar-free gum, mints)
- 1-3 ready-to-go meals
- Hand sanitizer
- Cleaning wipes
- Emergen-C or Airborne
Community members are also welcome to make a monetary donation by visiting support.oglethorpe.edu/give and selecting “Petey’s Pantry – Oglethorpe’s Food Pantry” as your gift designation.