The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force plays a crucial role in creating and sustaining an inclusive campus community. Members work with the Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Dr. Laura Renée Chandler to identify, develop, and implement strategies that move the university forward.
This fall, new members of the DEI Task Force were selected to serve a two-year term, or one-year term on a limited basis. Interested candidates were asked to complete an application, which included a letter explaining their role on campus, commitment to DEI, and interest in serving on the task force. The following members were selected from the applicants:
- Magdalena Carrasco, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
- Lynette Coto, Visiting Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Robbie Coull, Film and Media Studies Major
- Maura Dudley, Part-time Lecturer of Biology
- Peter Dye, Assistant Director of Community and Global Engagement
- Lacey Frye, Communications Studies Major
- Jamie Iredell, Lecturer of Core Studies
- Christine McCulloch, Lecturer of Core Studies
- Grant Utter, Digital Content Creator, Marketing and Communications
- Anna Ziering, Assistant Professor of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
“The members of the Task Force are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion at Oglethorpe,” says Dr. Chandler. “I am so appreciative of their work; already members have had tremendous success in drafting a university diversity statement, developing and launching the pilot First Year Seminar in collaboration with Student Success, and supporting civic engagement opportunities in the lead up to Election Day. I look forward to the next year of our work together.”
The task force also includes three subcommittees focused on climate and sense of belonging, diversity strategic planning, and community partnerships. Learn more at the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion website.