Global Education

Oglethorpe sophomore awarded State Department scholarship to study abroad

Malaika Taylor ’24 has been awarded the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, to study abroad.

Malaika Taylor '24

Malaika Taylor ’24

A sociology major from Lilburn, Georgia, Taylor will spend the several months studying in Legon, Ghana.

“I want to broaden my horizons by learning about different cultures, so I can better serve the diverse community that I am a part of,” shares Taylor.

“I hope to gain new cultural perspectives on reproductive health to further the efficiency and sensitivity of the health disparity advocacy group I started with friends this past school year.”

The Gilman award is presented annually to 850 American undergraduate students nationwide. This is the sixth year that the award has been given to an Oglethorpe student.

The Gilman Scholarship Program broadens the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints. The program encourages students to study and intern in a diverse array of countries and world regions and encourages them to study languages, especially critical need languages deemed important to national security. By supporting undergraduate students who have high financial need, the program has been successful in supporting students who have been historically underrepresented in education abroad.