Notable

Senior self-publishes first novel “A Darker Hue of You”

Oglethorpe is celebrating National Novel Writing Month this November by showcasing one of its talented students and writers, Danyelle Briggs ’22, who is releasing her first novel in January 2022.

Danyelle Briggs '22

Danyelle Briggs ’22

After three years in the making, Briggs is self-publishing her book “A Darker Hue of You” through Amazon‘s Kindle direct publishing, and pre-orders of the novel launch Friday, November 5.

“A Darker Hue of You” features a mystery that follows the perspective of three characters, including a young girl who returns to her small hometown after the death of her sister, just to find out that her childhood best friend has gone missing.

Because of COVID-19, there is almost a four-year delay in getting books published through traditional publishing companies, so Briggs decided to do it her own way.

“I decided that self-publishing was the way to go because I wanted to keep 100% of the rights and artistic licensing to my first book, and it meant a lot for me to get this out now after already working on it for so long.”

The senior said high school experiences of her own friend group inspired much of the novel, in addition to her own love for mysteries and thrillers.

All of the novel’s characters are people of color, an important aspect of the plot for Briggs.

Danyelle Briggs '22 cover for her novel "A Darker Hue of You"

“As a writer, I think this is something that the African American community has always needed,” she shared. “I wanted to show that Black teenagers go through everyday life with happy moments of friendship and strong bonds with family. We are more than characters of struggle; we have a story, too.”

Briggs shared that her first novel would not be possible without the support of Core Studies lecturer Dr. Melodie Rodgers.

“I took her creative writing class my freshman year, and it forever changed my life,” she said. “Dr. Rodgers was the whole reason I sat down and really pushed my writing. She’s always been there to support me and my writing.”

As a public relations major and politics minor, Briggs also credits communication studies professor Dr. Kate Keib for her success while at Oglethorpe.

“She is really great at letting me figure things out on my own and then pick me back up to keep me moving if I realize later that I need help.”

“Every teacher I’ve had in the communication studies department has made sure I have everything I need to succeed,” she went on. “Without them, I would not feel as confident as I am about being a senior and leaving Oglethorpe.”

Outside of her studies, the student leader is involved in many organizations at Oglethorpe, including Black Student Caucus, OU Cheerleading Team, DYNA.STTY, and Her Campus. She also works as an intern and project manager for OU’s Global Education, as well as a development and marketing intern with Atlanta’s Center for Puppetry Arts.

Pre-order your own copy of “A Darker Hue of You” or check out more of Danyelle Briggs’ work on her website.