Academics

New accounting lecturer brings experience in teaching plus corporate banking

New Hammack School of Business Senior Lecturer William Lyle already had three acronyms after his name—M.S., M.B.A., C.M.A.—and just added a fourth: D.B.A. Lyle recently completed his Doctor of Business Administration with a concentration in accounting.

William Lyle joined Oglethorpe in Fall 2021.

“After completing my doctoral studies this year at the University of Florida (Go Gators!), Oglethorpe had an opening for an accounting position,” the soon-to-be Dr. Lyle said. “It seemed like a natural fit for me and my family.”

Lyle is teaching Financial Accounting, Cost and Managerial Accounting, and Auditing in Fall 2021. Oglethorpe is not his first teaching job, though. He’s taught at seven other universities, including Kennesaw State University, Robert Morris University, and University of Georgia in the Center for Continuing Education.

His experience dates back to 2004, when he was inspired by his brother who had started teaching at the university level.

“Having finished my M.B.A., I decided to apply at a Community College [of Allegheny College] in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to see if I could get a class or two to teach while working in corporate banking,” he said. “Long story short, they took a chance on me, and I have never looked back.”

Lyle served as an assistant vice president for banks in Pennsylvania and West Virginia for six years—earning his Master of Science degree in taxation along the way—before heading back to school to earn his D.B.A.

He said his varied experience has well prepared him for Oglethorpe, and he is looking forward to working with students.

“It’s always great to meet new students,” he said. “I really enjoy the process of helping them to learn what accounting actually is, and to help prepare for them for their future endeavors.”

Lyle also said he wants students to know that he always will be engaged and encouraging.

“Whether it is in the classroom, in a meeting or on a research project, I believe I take ownership of the process and respect those I work with, both inside and outside of the classroom,” he said.