Academics

New HSB lecturer believes in lifelong learning for students and for himself

Learning programming language may not seem like a natural path for a faculty member teaching Finance, but Oglethorpe University’s Dr. Ahmet Akin is taking that unusual step.

Dr. Ahmet Akin, Senior Lecturer in Finance and Business Analytics

“I believe in continuous improvement, and I am searching for ways to add to my credentials,” said Akin, one of the three new instructors in the Hammack School of Business.

He’s been learning Python programming languages with applications to finance. He also recently passed the CFA Level I Exam and FRM Exam Part 1.

Continuous self development is one of the reasons Akin said teaching is attractive to him. “Teaching makes me a lifelong learner and helps me gain new perspectives,” Akin said.

He also said he sees it as a way to do meaningful work.

“Teaching is a profession with a high impact on society,” he said. “It allows me to have a positive influence on the students’ lives by helping them gain new knowledge and skills. Therefore, it comes with a high job satisfaction.”

Akin earned a Ph.D. in Finance at Istanbul University, an M.A. in Management at Fatih University, and a B.E. in Business Engineering at Istanbul Technical University. He came to Oglethorpe by way of SUNY Oswego in New York after a three-year stint at the American University of the Middle East in Eqaila, Kuwait.

He said he expects his global experience to serve him well at Oglethorpe.

“I have a long teaching experience at several institutions in different countries, and I believe I can demonstrate my teaching skills well at OU,” Akin said. “Besides, OU has experienced and collaborative faculty whom I am glad to work with.”

Akin is teaching four classes in Fall 2021: Business Analytics, two sections of Corporate Finance, and Advanced Corporate Finance.

“Oglethorpe University has a perfect environment for teaching,” he said. “Small class size allows me to have better interaction with the students, pay personal attention to them, and contribute more to their learning process.”

It’s this interaction that he said he hopes is not altered in the ongoing pandemic.

“I am excited about face-to-face teaching and having direct interaction with the students and my colleagues,” Akin said. “I hope pandemic-related health issues will be minimized soon.”