So you’ve arrived on campus for your first semester — now what? Here’s a list of some fun spots to get you started in your exploration of Brookhaven and beyond — all just a short drive from campus!
Let’s all go to the lobby!
- AMC North DeKalb Mall 16: This is the perfect theatre to venture to when you’re not looking to break the bank. It has the newest releases, and is the best spot to grab a couple of pals for the next big movie! 17 minutes from campus.
- Plaza Theatre: Atlanta’s oldest operating cinema. Showcasing a single screen, this is the spot to catch the latest independent releases, as well as some of cinema’s greatest classics on the big screen. 22 minutes from campus.
- Regal Atlantic Station: This is a great spot when you’re ready to splurge a little for a swankier atmosphere. The theatre is in the middle of a hip area with upscale shopping, museums, art exhibits, and an ice rink in the winter! 20 minutes from campus.
Sunday in the park with Petey
- Brookhaven Park: One of the closest parks to campus, this is a nice area to enjoy some of the best of the “City in the Woods.” 2 minutes from campus.
- Piedmont Park: Atlanta’s most famous park, this spot offers activities like cycling, organized sports, picnics, and fishing. Piedmont Park is also famous for special events like Music Midtown, Atlanta Pride Festival, and the Atlanta Dogwood Festival. 17 minutes from campus.
- Historic Fourth Ward Park: This park has 17 acres of greenspace plus an outdoor amphitheater and is within walking distance of Ponce City Market and the Atlanta BeltLine! 25 minutes from campus.
To read, or not to read…
- Atlanta Vintage Books: Located just minutes away from campus, this used book store is amazing for finding first editions and an assortment of books that would be difficult to find elsewhere. Just make sure to not step on the store cat’s tail when you go (she likes to wander!). 6 minutes from campus.
- Book Nook: Similar to Atlanta Vintage Books (sans cat), Book Nook offers an amazing selection of older books, vinyl records, CDs, movies, and comic books! 15 minutes from campus.
- Barnes & Noble: Need the latest release? The Barnes & Noble just down Peachtree Road is the bookstore for you! Enjoy a Starbucks drink while browsing for your next best read. 10 minutes from campus.
There’s so much to explore in Brookhaven and Atlanta, and this should help you get started. When you arrive at OU, don’t be afraid to explore — just make a plan and bring a friend.
Tucker Hammonds is a 2019 graduate of Oglethorpe University, where he now works as an admission counselor.