Business

Business major accepted into Duke University’s top-ranked management studies program

Tyson Quander '21

Tyson Quander ’21

Graduating senior Tyson Quander ’21 will continue his education at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business, the #12 ranked business school in the country.

After a comprehensive application process that included multiple essays, interviews, and letters of recommendation, the business administration major was accepted into the 10-month program to complete a Master of Management Studies.

Choosing to head to Durham, North Carolina was an easy decision, Quander said. “Out of all the schools that expressed interest, Duke stood out the most.”

The future Duke Blue Devil says he’s most excited to meet and work with students from all over the world.

“Their program is known for having a diverse student body, so I’m looking forward to experiencing the different cultures,” he said.

Duke first expressed interest in Quander after he won the Hammack School of Business inaugural case competition in the fall 2020 semester. In the competition, he tackled the question “Did We Expand Too Quickly?” from Harvard Business Review, a fictionalized case study that presents problems faced by leaders in real companies.

“Attending Oglethorpe prepared me for this in ways words cannot express,” the graduating senior reflected.

“Thanks to Oglethorpe, I became a much better writer than I was when I came in, and I learned how to work in teams with members of different backgrounds. Competing in the case competition and doing case studies allowed me to apply the disciplines I learned in the classroom to real-world scenarios.”

Duke Fuqua School of Business outdoor sign

In addition to his business studies, Quander is a theatre minor, a member of the Entrepreneurship Club, and a volunteer with the Buckhead Business Association and National Speakers Association (NSA) Georgia.

Quander plans to pursue a career as a producer in the entertainment and arts industry or start his own company.

“I know I’m prepared, mentally tough, and able to accomplish anything I set my mind to,” Quander said. “This is just the beginning!”