Career Development

Economics students selected for Atlanta Federal Reserve internships

Oglethorpe students Alex Blecker ’23 and Parrish Studebaker ’22 have been selected to intern at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, continuing the university’s legacy of interns at the institution.

Parrish Studebaker '22

Parrish Studebaker ’22

As panel coordinators in the Research Department, the two students will connect the Atlanta Federal Reserve to businesses in the region and work with them to participate in the Federal Reserve’s survey program.

“With this experience, I hope to gain a better knowledge of the inner workings of the Federal Reserve Bank, as well as a better understanding of how business uncertainty plays a role in the state of the economy and economic growth,” Blecker said.

This opportunity was introduced to the two economics majors by senior Fatima Boumahdi ’21, who also interned at the Atlanta Federal Reserve and has secured a position after graduation with the New York Federal Reserve.

Along with his studies as an economics major, Studebaker is a mathematics and Spanish double minor, Economics Club vice president, Alpha Phi Omega inter-chapter liaison, and a member of the Oglethorpe Symphony Orchestra.

“My time at Oglethorpe has allowed me to serve in leadership roles that have given me the skills to succeed at self-directed work such as this position,” he said.

Alex Blecker '23

Alex Blecker ’23

An economics and politics double major, Blecker also stays busy as a published freelance writer, secretary of the Economics Club, member of Oglethorpe Hillel, and interning at the American Jewish Committee.

“My time at Oglethorpe and all the faculty within the economics program greatly prepared me to take on this job. I had the opportunity of working with Dr. Peter Kower in the past as a supplemental instructor for his macroeconomics course, which allowed me to showcase my skills and passion for economics and the work that the Federal Reserve Bank does,” Blecker reflected.

“I’ve learned a lot in Dr. Cassandra Copeland’s classes and she has always been very supportive. I also credit the Core program and my politics professors, which made me a more well-rounded candidate for the position.”

Studebaker added, “I would like to thank both of my econ professors Dr. Cassandra Copeland and Dr. Peter Kower for everything they have taught me, as well as Fatima for recommending I apply.”