On April 22 and 23, Oglethorpe University will host a virtual Liberal Arts & Sciences Symposium (LASS) and Posters of Research In Science & Mathematics (PRISM), an annual celebration of student excellence.
This Oglethorpe tradition brings together the campus community to honor the exemplary analytic and creative work and research produced by student scholars during the academic year. The symposium provides a forum to recognize, discuss and learn from these outstanding endeavors.
Panels, poster presentations, and performances present the accomplishments and academic rigor of both Oglethorpe’s liberal arts curriculum, as well as student-driven initiatives. These initiatives include senior honors theses, independent studies, service learning, study abroad and other experiential learning, all of which connect Oglethorpe with Atlanta and the world beyond.
Topics to be presented and discussed by students will include:
- Female Candidates and Voter Turnout: An Empirical Study on the Effects of Nontraditional Candidate Spending on Voter Behavior | Presenter: Fatima Boumahdi (Advisor: Dr Cassandra Copeland)
- Bridging the Gap: Updating Representations of Slavery in Museums in the Southern United States | Presenter: Nyree Dowdy (Advisor: Dr. Nicholas Maher)
- Worse Singers or Harder Songs? Pop Music Melodies from the 1970s through the 2010s | Presenter: Alison Curl (Advisor: Dr. Timothy Powell)
- A Qualitative Study Examining Black Women’s Experiences within Maternal Healthcare | Presenter: Ron’Nesha Bryant (Advisor: Dr. Janelle Pham)
- Web design, photography, and studio art panels
- Musical performances
Visit the official LASS website for the full schedule and details of the event.