This spring, Oglethorpe University will host on-campus, in-person commencement ceremonies to honor the Class of 2021 and the Class of 2020! These events will be the university’s first large gatherings in more than a year—and a welcome chance to come together to celebrate an important milestone for our graduates!
The Class of 2021 commencement ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 22 at 9 a.m., and the Class of 2020 ceremony is scheduled for Sunday, May 23 at 9 a.m. Both events will be held on the academic quad.
As planning continues, here are some details about how Oglethorpe is working to make the in-person ceremonies possible:
• Graduates will be offered up to 3 non-transferrable tickets to allow guests to attend the event in person. Accessibility accommodation requests may be made via the commencement website. [Update: Graduate RSVP and guest tickets were made available on April 16 via graduates’ OU emails.]
• The university’s COVID-19 protocols will be in effect for the ceremony, including required face-coverings for all attendees—regardless of vaccination status. Seating will be arranged to allow for necessary social distancing.
• The event will be livestreamed via Oglethorpe University’s Facebook page to ensure additional access for anyone who would like to view the ceremony.
• The university has retained professional photographers to take individual photos of each graduate at the ceremony. In addition, throughout the summer, graduates will be able to request access to campus for photos with additional family and friends.
Next steps for graduates:
• Graduating students in the Class of 2021 must submit a degree application by April 9, 2021.
• Cap and gown packages are available for order through April 27, 2021. Caps and gowns will be mailed to individuals.
The 2021 commencement will include students whose degree was conferred for fall 2020, who are on pace for conferral for spring 2021, and who meet the criteria to participate but will have a summer 2021 conferral. The 2020 commencement will include anyone whose degree was conferred for fall 2019, spring 2020, or summer 2020. Eligibility to participate is included in the official review information that is provided after students apply for graduation.
Please continue to check your email and the commencement website for additional information as it becomes available.