International Education Week (IEW) will be celebrated November 16-20, 2020 throughout the U.S.—and at Oglethorpe University.
IEW, a joint initiative of the U.S. Departments of State and Education, celebrates the value and benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. It’s also is an opportunity to promote programs that not only prepare Americans for a global environment, but also attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.
This year, the Oglethorpe’s Global Education office in the Atlanta Laboratory for Learning (A_LAB) is hosting a slate of events, including an international student panel, a faculty-facing intercultural communication talk, study abroad informational sessions, and more:
- International Education Week Kick Off – Lunch and Learn, Nov. 16, 1 p.m. – Meet the Global Education team, learn about national and campus international exchange, and hear about the importance of global learning.
- Study Abroad 101, Nov. 17, 6 p.m. – Explore study abroad and program options, connect with OU’s partner LeadAbroad, and hear from Petrels who studied abroad!
- Global Learning Beyond Borders with WorldStrides, Nov. 18, 12 p.m. – Faculty are invited to learn about making global learning accessible to all students and opportunities for curriculum integration.
- Careers in Foreign Service, Nov. 19, 5 p.m. – Hear from Allen Dubose, a U.S. Department of State Diplomat in Residence, based in Atlanta.
- Friday Fun: Student Panel, Nov. 20, 1 p.m. – Join an international student panel of Global Ambassadors to hear about their experiences and the importance of intercultural communication and perspective taking skills.
And leading up to and during International Education Week, be sure to follow international students Ana Magalhaes de Mello ’22 and Grace Turpin ’21 as they take over @OglethorpeLife on Instagram and share their perspectives on the international experience at OU!