Philanthropy is an important part of Oglethorpe’s history and tradition.
Now in its fifth year, Philanthropy Week celebrates generosity, good acts, and gratitude—and the importance of giving and giving back.
The week-long annual celebration honors the generosity of the OU community, raises awareness for all the good giving does, and aims to inspire everyone to “make a difference”!
How are we celebrating this year?
- As part of the fun, the entire Oglethorpe community is invited to participate in our (virtual!) Gratitude Garden, by submitting a short message of gratitude. What are you grateful for? Let us know! Then, check out what others are sharing—and be inspired!
“I am thankful for the many opportunities Oglethorpe has given and will continue to give me.” -Olumeka Mejeidu ’21
- Members of STAT (Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow) are launching a ‘Petrel to Petrel’ letter writing campaign to reach out and connect with Golden Petrels, alumni who graduated at least 50 years ago, to share a first-hand glimpse into the college experience of today.
- The Class of 2021 is launching their senior gift campaign, Seniors for Students, to support the needs of future Petrels.
- Oglethorpe is hosting Alumni Volunteer Appreciation Day, an annual thank you event for all alumni volunteers, held virtually this year.
- Helping Students Thrive, a faculty and staff giving campaign, launched this week and is focused on making a difference for students and helping to advance the OU mission. Faculty and staff are encouraged to give in the areas for which they are most passionate, including the Student Emergency Assistance Fund, the new First Generation Student Scholarship, or simply Oglethorpe’s greatest needs.