Notable

Communications professor selected for Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program

Dr. Kate Keib, assistant professor of communication studies, has been selected for the Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program, to be held during the 2020-2021 academic year.

Dr. Kate Keib, Assistant Professor of Communication Studies

The Governor’s Teaching Fellows Program was established by former Governor Zell Miller to provide Georgia’s higher education faculty with expanded opportunities for developing important teaching skills, including emerging technologies and instructional tools. The program is offered through the Institute of Higher Education at the University of Georgia.

The program’s application process required applicants to develop a course redesign proposal, and to submit a copy of their teaching philosophy, letter of intent, and a letter of support from their university president.

“I applied because I wanted to take advantage of the program’s emphasis on leading-edge instructional practice (as they call it). Specifically, I applied because I want to set aside time to focus on my teaching,” Dr. Keib said. “I want to read the most time-honored as well as the latest research on how to design engaging courses. I want to learn more about using technology to engage my students. And, I want to connect with other faculty from across the state, focused on the same goals.”

During the academic year, Dr. Keib will attend six three-day seminars focused on teaching. She will join other faculty from a range of disciplines in a combination of structured instructional and faculty development activities, as well as self-directed activities designed to meet individual needs.

“The UGA Governor’s Teaching Fellowship is an opportunity to step back, pause, and reflect on the bigger picture: how I am delivering content to my students. What techniques and technologies will engage them and help them to grasp important concepts best? What am I doing that is working well and where can I improve?”

Dr. Keib earned her PhD in Mass Communication from the University of Georgia, and her M.A. and B.A. in Journalism & Mass Communication from Point Park College. Her research has focused on social media, emotion and decision making, online images, credibility, native advertising, and branded video content. Previously, she was accepted for the Kopenhaver Fellowship and PhDigital Bootcamp.