Humans of Oglethorpe

Humans of Oglethorpe: Rachel Lester ’23

Rachel Lester, Freshman

Major: Psychology, Minor: Music

“It really opened my eyes to what is happening in other countries, and not just hearing it on the news.”

“I’ve been to Haiti twice, and the Dominican Republic, on a mission trip, which is probably the coolest thing I’ve ever done.

Rachel Lester

Rachel Lester

We went for a week at a time and stayed with an organization. We’d go out to the villages and fulfill whatever they needed, like water purification, painting their houses, or planting fruit trees. Any tangible need that they had. After we got done working, we just got to sit and talk with them and it was just a very personal experience.

It really opened my eyes to what is happening in other countries and not just hearing it on the news. It’s definitely impacted my future. I still want to help and fill those needs.

I’m majoring in Psychology because I want to be an occupational therapist, which is my way of continuing to help others. It’s a good entryway for that program and it’s just cool to learn about the explanation behind people’s actions.”

Humans of Oglethorpe was created by a Pegasus Creative student intern in University Communications at Oglethorpe. Inspired by Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton, this series will share personal stories and perspectives from across campus. Everyone has a story and everyone is human. Would you like to be involved in this series? Email Bailey Burns.