Featured

Humans of Oglethorpe: Kevin Dew

Kevin Dew,
Theatre

“Find a way to pursue your passion.”

“I graduated college in 1977 with a major in math and a minor in theatre, which isn’t your typical combo.

Kevin DewI always had in mind when I retired, I wanted to do something in the theatre again. I was just making a living, not pursuing my real passion. So when I retired three years ago, I decided to come to Oglethorpe and study theatre.

I’m within walking distance [of campus] so it’s very convenient and I’ve had a wonderful time. I just audit classes, I’m not actually going to graduate.

When I came, I didn’t know if the students would accept me, but they just treat me like I’m one of them. I thought they’d make me feel old—but instead they make me feel young!

My advice for anyone: find a way to pursue your passion. It may not be the focal point of your life or the way you make a living, but somehow find a way to fulfill that passion.”

Humans of Oglethorpe was created by a Pegasus Creative student intern in University Communications at Oglethorpe. Inspired by Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton, this series will share personal stories and perspectives from across campus. Everyone has a story and everyone is human. Would you like to be involved in this series? Email Bailey Burns.