Campus Life

Humans of Oglethorpe: Jalisa Kassam ’20

Jalisa Kassam, Senior

Major: Biopsychology

“I felt like I had so much more potential than I was using.”

“When I came here my freshman year, I was stuck in my shell. I was only involved in two things, soccer and a sorority.

Jalisa KassamTowards the end of freshman year, I made friends with a lot of seniors. I realized how much they were leaving behind and how they made their mark on this school and I wanted that. I felt like I had so much more potential than I was using. So after that moment, I rushed and joined a medical frat, took a position in AST and Student Advisory Committee.

I feel like Oglethorpe has been a place [where] I’ve really thrived. I now work with freshmen because I want to give the experience I’ve had to them.

I’m applying to medical school right now, and I’ve never liked change, but for the first time in my life I’m not worried about my future, because of how much Oglethorpe has prepared me.”

Humans of Oglethorpe was created by a Pegasus Creative student intern in University Communications at Oglethorpe. Inspired by Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton, this series will share personal stories and perspectives from across campus. Everyone has a story and everyone is human. Would you like to be involved in this series? Email Bailey Burns.