Campus Life

Congratulations, Class of 2018!

Check out our photo, video and social media round-up from this year’s commencement festivities. You just might see yourself or your own posts included!

Tony Award-nominated and Grammy Award-winning actor, and Emmy Award-winning songwriter/composer Christopher Jackson was the commencement speaker and honorary degree recipient. Jackson originated the role of George Washington in the Broadway smash hit “Hamilton: An American Musical,” and currently stars on the CBS television show “Bull.”

Stephen Johnson ’18 was awarded the Sally Hull Weltner Award for Scholarship. The award honors the student in the graduating class who has attained the highest grade-point average with the greatest number of hours in course work completed at the university.

Meredith Myers ’18 and Iris Ponce ’18 received the James Edward Oglethorpe Award. This award is presented annually to two individuals in the graduating class who, in the opinion of the faculty, have excelled in scholarship, leadership and character.

Graduates: Please check your OU email for your individual commencement photographs by TSS Photography.

COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS:

Oglethorpe University Commencement 2018

Oglethorpe University Commencement 2018 featuring honorary degree recipient and speaker Christopher Jackson, Tony Award-nominated and Grammy Award-winning actor and an Emmy Award-winning songwriter/composer. Jackson originated the role of George Washington in the Broadway smash hit “Hamilton: An American Musical,” and currently stars on the CBS television show “Bull.”

Commencement Social Moments:

[ONE DAY LEFT✨] Earlier today we had a redo for the Carillon Ceremony, half the senior class got to go up the secret stairwell and finally ring the bells! And then tonight all of our families were invited to the President’s Reception. Today was truly one for the books! Seniors, we’re almost there…🎓

235 Likes, 1 Comments – Oglethorpe Life (@oglethorpelife) on Instagram: “[ONE DAY LEFT✨] Earlier today we had a redo for the Carillon Ceremony, half the senior class got to…”

Casual Saturday morning meet up with Christopher Jackson!! T-minus 13 days until I get to see Hamilton!!! (Also @linmanuel_miranda knows Oglethorpe University) #dead #happy

134 Likes, 1 Comments – Katherine Townsend (@katherinetownsend13) on Instagram: “Casual Saturday morning meet up with Christopher Jackson!! T-minus 13 days until I get to see…”

Congratulations our Alumna sisters for graduating today with the rest of the Class of 2018! We are so proud of each one of them and we can’t wait to see their new accomplishments and changes they will do in this new step of their lives!

129 Likes, 5 Comments – Sigma Sigma Sigma (@trisigma_ou) on Instagram: “Congratulations our Alumna sisters for graduating today with the rest of the Class of 2018! We are…”

I AM SOO BLESSED!!! TWILA, BETH @bethanidanielle , LYRIC @only_lyric , & GIANNA @giannazitello THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO TEACH, ADVISE, MENTOR, & LOVE YOU!!! I AM HUMBLED BY YOUR TRUST, HONOR, RESPECT & LOVE FOR ME AS BOTH YOUR PROFESSOR, ACADEMIC ADVISOR & FRIEND!!! PERPETUAL BLESSINGS TO EACH OF YOU❤️!!! #classof2018 #gratuation #oglethorpeuniversity #securethebag #theydidthat #mygirls #soproud #thefuture #unstoppable #specialcloth #godsplan #❤️

107 Likes, 5 Comments – Dr. Kendra A. Momon (@momonmental) on Instagram: “I AM SOO BLESSED!!! TWILA, BETH @bethanidanielle , LYRIC @only_lyric , & GIANNA @giannazitello…”

Fraternity brothers. Good friends. Work Family. New Oglethorpe Alumni!!! (not enough pics but these are the last ones) #ChiPhi #ClassOf2018 #Friends #Family

78 Likes, 1 Comments – Edmund Smith (@edmundo_thunder) on Instagram: “Fraternity brothers. Good friends. Work Family. New Oglethorpe Alumni!!! (not enough pics but these…”

I have the best friends ever. #classof2018

172 Likes, 14 Comments – Liliana(Lily)Esquivel (@itsnotliliana) on Instagram: “I have the best friends ever. #classof2018”

a dream day to celebrate the end of 4 beautiful years at oglethorpe. so grateful for the friends and memories i made at oglethorpe that i will love forever. my heart is so full! nescit cedere!

368 Likes, 18 Comments – abby hoenstine (@abbystine) on Instagram: “a dream day to celebrate the end of 4 beautiful years at oglethorpe. so grateful for the friends…”

Thankful I was able to make such meaningful and long lasting friends in my time at Oglethorpe! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for all of us!

223 Likes, 10 Comments – Will Keegan (@keegan9) on Instagram: “Thankful I was able to make such meaningful and long lasting friends in my time at Oglethorpe! I…”

OFFICIALLY GRADUATED with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting!! I want to say that @realdonaldtrump was full of FAKE NEWS on 2016 when he announced that he was running for President by saying, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending its best,” because myself, just like hundreds of thousands of others have and WILL continue to graduate! This movement will not stop. We will continue to pursue greatness no matter what. HIGHER EDUCATION IS FOR ALL!! #immigrant #graduated #college P.C. 📷 @savrootes

228 Likes, 33 Comments – 👉Jose Franco👍 (@powjose) on Instagram: “OFFICIALLY GRADUATED with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting!! I want to say that…”

It’s time for the baby petrels to leave the nest🐦🎓

142 Likes, 7 Comments – Elizabeth Burns (@elizabethburnsy) on Instagram: “It’s time for the baby petrels to leave the nest🐦🎓”

💘another graduation post but I’m so thankful to have had the chance to graduate from Oglethorpe University today, school of mortar and big hearts In the immortal words of Elle Woods: We did it! 💘

54 Likes, 4 Comments – ariel 🌹 (@arielchristie) on Instagram: “💘another graduation post but I’m so thankful to have had the chance to graduate from Oglethorpe…”

He did it! Congrats Wade, I couldn’t be more proud. @843coco

36 Likes, 1 Comments – Annie Coleman (@annieyesimokay) on Instagram: “He did it! Congrats Wade, I couldn’t be more proud. @843coco”

So incredibly proud of our graduates!! We’re so grateful for the impact you have each had on our chapter. You’ll be missed ❤️

136 Likes, 1 Comments – OU Chi Omega (@oglethorpe_chiomega) on Instagram: “So incredibly proud of our graduates!! We’re so grateful for the impact you have each had on our…”

Obsessed…..she bout to change the world @twii.liight

39 Likes, 4 Comments – Diamond King (@therealdiamondgirl) on Instagram: “Obsessed…..she bout to change the world @twii.liight”

I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them. #ogletag 📸:@merfmyers

224 Likes, 2 Comments – Oglethorpe University (@oglethorpeuniv) on Instagram: “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them….”

Graduation Day for Numerous Oglethorpe Student-Athletes

Saturday served as Graduation Day for Oglethorpe University, with a large number of Oglethorpe student-athletes receiving their diplomas on the school’s academic quad on Saturday morning.