Campus Life

Freshman founds student club during first semester

Korean Club selfie

Zabbar (back center) together with other Kclub members.

As many students were still finding their way around campus and getting into the groove of college life, first-year Moliha Zabbar ’21 decided what better time to become an even bigger part of the Oglethorpe community.

“I thought that being a leader on campus through a student organization would be a great opportunity to be engaged,” Zabbar said. “I would get to meet new people as well as gain leadership experience.”

With the guidance of Assistant Director of Student Life Rebecca Stewart, Zabbar completed the steps needed to set up the new organization, admittedly a bit “scared” at first of the undertaking. But now, Oglethorpe is home to the Korean Cultural Club, or Kclub for short.

korean culture club

“I was learning how to read, write, and speak Korean, [and] was interested in learning more about the culture, traditions, and food,” Zabbar said. “Based on the other students’ opinions, I realized that there were many people who were interested. As a result, the club was created shortly after.”

She credits Oglethorpe with providing an environment where, even as freshmen, students are encouraged to take on responsibilities and leadership roles.

“Hard work is a must,” Zabbar said. “Along with patience, good planning skills, and communication. Another important lesson learned was picking good officers so that they’ll be there to help and support you along the way. My club’s officers are seriously the best!”