Individually Planned Major Personalizes Education

Christian Harnett '14 Communication and Digital Media Production

Christian Harnett ’14
Communication and Digital Media Production

An individually planned major, or IPM, in many ways is an extension of Oglethorpe’s mission. The IPM allows students to formulate and stylize their education based on their interests, desired career path and where they want to go in life. Each student’s individualism and creativity is allowed to flourish in this personalized, one-of-a-kind education.

To start the process of creating an IPM, a student must meet with his or her advisor. Together, they plan which courses are essential to that major and when these classes should be taken. Next, they submit the application to the Provost’s Office for consideration. The IPM application may be approved or returned with feedback, in which case the IPM may often be revised for approval.

“I ended up revising my IPM multiple times,” said April Baldwin ’13, a cultural anthropology major. “This actually helped me tweak it a little more to what I liked, as I found out I loved art classes. I feel like having an IPM made my experience at OU very personal, as I had to work with my advisor constantly. It made me feel very empowered to have created my own major, and I’m very proud of that. Currently I am looking for employment in a marketing company. My IPM showed me what I enjoyed, and the best thing about it is I can apply it to so many different careers.”

Nicole Gallagher '15 Rhetorics and Hermeneutics

Nicole Gallagher ’15
Rhetorics and Hermeneutics

Oglethorpe has seen a variety of IPMs, including several that are not offered in any course catalog—maybe anywhere. For example, Nicole Gallagher ’15 is working toward a degree that couples rhetoric (the means by which people make meaning of and affect the world in which they live) with hermeneutics (the study of understanding in its experiential form).

“By combining the fields of Rhetoric and Hermeneutics to form a single discipline, I intend to stress the importance of observing how understanding is reached through interpretation,” says Nicole. “A major in rhetoric and hermeneutics prepares me for a wide variety of opportunities where my knowledge can be effectively applied. It is my hope that I apply it in making progress towards over-coming obstacles on both a personal and global scale.”

Other IPMs, such as 2014 graduate Christian Hartnett’s course of study that combines communication with digital media production, expand upon an existing major.

“Communication already encompasses media, as it’s through media that we communicate,” said Christian. “(But) a communication and digital media production major provides me with the courses I need to secure a job in media production.” But Christian also cautions that “those who opt for an IPM should keep in mind that, while the results are rewarding, the process can be challenging.”

In order to avoid some of these challenges, students are advised to plan early, but not too early. He explained that “you probably don’t know enough about your career aspirations or the curriculum to make that decision (freshman year)…but if you submit your application when you have enough hours to be considered a senior, your proposal will be rejected.” Furthermore, students also are encouraged to consider the Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE) program, but not to rely exclusively on it. The ARCHE program  allows students to take courses at other schools, such as Emory and Georgia State, as part of their Oglethorpe tuition. These courses, along with independent studies, enable students to tailor their majors to align with their ambitions.

IPMs have also helped students in unexpected ways. “When I came to Oglethorpe, I knew that I wanted to be a screenwriter,” said Joscelyn Stein ’13. “I put together an IPM in media studies so that when I went into screenwriting, I had a solid understanding of the ways in which media is produced and the ways it affects individuals and shapes the society we live in. After having finished my studies, I am still interested in screenwriting, but I am also interested in going into media research, media consulting and teaching.”

Sarah Duff '12 Medical and Scientific Illustration

Sarah Duff ’12
Medical and Scientific Illustration

Additionally, IPMs have been integral to students’ career success. Mariella Handschin ’13, an environmental chemistry IPM major, enthused, “I expect to use (the IPM) to help me find a job or go to graduate school. I have an internship starting soon with the Fulton County water department and I am sure my acquired chemistry skills and knowledge of environmental concerns will be useful. Perhaps this will lead me straight to my career.”

Relatedly, Sarah Duff ’12, a medical and scientific illustration major who works for Nucleus Medical Media, was recently promoted to a management position. “I now work for Nucleus as the product production coordinator,” she stated, “and the ultimate plan for me within the next six months is to train me to become a Project Manager… Oglethorpe prepared me in…organization and taking on a different field through diversity. It’s pretty awesome knowing I’m in a career at this point in my life, and I definitely think Oglethorpe impacted that.”

College is about making a career, making connections, and making your future. An IPM can be integral to making that happen. As Mareva Bone ’13, a business and media IPM major, advises: “Do (your) research, use all the resources available to (you), explore the ARCHE program and schools, and realize that the major of (your) dreams is at (your) fingertips.”