A Petrel Lands with the Atlanta Hawks

Sporting the red & black: Arthur Hamilton ’11 was an official member of the press during last week’s game against the Detroit Pistons. The Hawks won 104-96. Photo: Rachael Alston, GSU ’11

Last week’s Atlanta Hawks game against the Detroit Pistons was especially exciting for Oglethorpe senior Arthur Hamilton. Though an admitted Hawks fan, Hamilton was actually there covering the game on assignment.  He was chosen by the Hawks to experience the NBA game as a professional journalist—interacting with Hawks staff members, sportswriters and broadcasters along the way.

Did you know? In 1979, the Atlanta Hawks held open practice in the Oglethorpe University Field House.

“Overall it was a great experience,” said Arthur, a former basketball player himself. “I got to see all of the backstage media guides and production.  My favorite part of the whole day was…during the postgame press conference.  We got to have a 15-20 minute Q&A interview session with [Hawks Coach] Larry Drew.”

The communication and project management major currently interns at Turner Sport’s NBA TV, and hopes to work with them and NCAA.com after graduation. With five sports-related internships under his belt, Arthur felt comfortable working in the Philips Arena press box.

“It was good to see a new perspective and experience the media questions and backstage production,” said Arthur.  “Everything I learned through my experience on Sunday furthers my desire to [seize] opportunities in my career path.  I hope that the contacts I met and networked with will develop my…career opportunities in the near future.  Sports have always been my passion, so why not do something…that [I’m already] passionate about?”