Career Development

International student returns home to intern with Atlanta-based UPS

Ruby Philippaerts

Ruby Philippaerts ’20

International student and sophomore business major Ruby Philippaerts ’20 will be spending his summer back home in Belgium where he’ll be interning for Atlanta-based United Parcel Service, a position with a connection to his home away from home, Oglethorpe.

Philippaerts will be working with UPS Europe in Brussels. The internship in Competitive Intelligence supports the Small Package Marketing team and plays a vital role in the strategic management of UPS across the continent.

“Being able to work in Brussels, literally the capital of the European Union, will give me the ability to gain valuable work experience,” said Philippaerts. “Also, the exposure to UPS’s international operations and the Competitive Intelligence team will help me to learn more about the industry and overall operations.”

The position fits perfectly with Philippaerts’ academic curriculum, as he also double minors in Economics and French. Previously he had worked summers at the Belgian post company (bpost) but this will be his first internship as an undergraduate.

Philippaerts had a little help with his internship application from an Oglethorpe Trustee and alumnus. James Winestock, the now retired former Senior Vice President of U.S. Operations at UPS, met Philippaerts in February. Philippaerts, a Student Observer for the Board of Trustees for the Buildings and Grounds committee, casually mentioned internship applications he was completing, including the one listed on the UPS career website with the Competitive Intelligence Division at the European Headquarters.

“He directly offered to refer me and to send my resume and contact information to the current head of International Operations of UPS,” Philippaerts excitedly remembers. “After spring break, I interviewed with the head of Competitive Intelligence in Brussels and the week after I received an offer for this internship!”

He added, “I would never have imagined to being able to intern in my home country with UPS, which basically is the definition of an international company.”

Philippaerts, a Dean’s List student, has earned every bit of his internship, yet recognizes the importance networking plays.

“I am beyond grateful for Dean [Michelle] Hall and [Vice President for Enrollment and Financial Aid] Lucy Leusch for giving me the honor of serving as a student representative, and of course Mr. Jim Winestock for referring me for this amazing opportunity,” said Philippaerts.

“Being able to intern with such a unique company like UPS, at one of their international headquarters, will give me some great international experience.”