Alumni

Oglethorpe Student Wins Seat in Local City Council

Roger logo shot

Roger Marmol ’16, a history and politics double major with a minor in studio art, is getting a jump start on his career—he has won a seat on the Snellville City Council.

Roger 1While a full-time student, Roger worked diligently on his campaign for the November 3rd elections, focusing on community, leadership, and growth in the city of Snellville, a community northeast of Atlanta. Roger, an Army veteran with a background in sales and management, brings his experience and leadership in private business, military and public philanthropy.

Roger began his studies at Oglethorpe in the Adult Degree Program, and then transitioned into becoming a traditional undergraduate student. Roger says that every professor at Oglethorpe, whether knowingly or not, has had a tremendous effect on him, some helping him “to see the world through different lenses” and others teaching him “to stand up for what is right.”

“The difficulty of Dr. Orme’s classes not only displays his level of knowledge, but also pushes me to read more, and educate myself more,” says Roger. “Dr. Knippenberg instills in me a lot of realistic life experiences that come with age and experience. Both of them, as well as others, have contributed towards making me a better human being, by pushing me and not accepting mediocrity or excuses.”