“Oglethorpe Idol” Turns Journalist

Alumnus Matt Claiborne ’11 is, in the words of Janet Wood ’13, an “Oglethorpe idol.”

“Matt has been one of my biggest inspirations in my Oglethorpe career,” said Janet, “both while he was still a student with his mentorship and friendship, and now (with) his successes as an alumnus. He is proof that an Oglethorpe education can really take you places.”

Matt graduated from Oglethorpe with a degree in Communication and Rhetoric Studies, and ever since then has been making a name for himself—first at Columbia University, where he is pursued an MS in Journalism with a concentration in broadcast journalism.

As part of his thesis at Columbia, Matt produced a documentary about solitary confinement in New York prisons and the difficulties faced by an ex-prisoner who is transitioning back into society. “Journalists…are passionate about providing a platform for marginalized groups of people,” said Matt. “Without journalism, a fair democracy cannot exist, because we have no one to hold our government accountable.”

Matt also co-produced a story about bird watchers who, instead of staying indoors during hurricanes, go outside to observe birds. The story, to Matt’s delight, was picked up by PBS.

While at Oglethorpe, Matt interned at CBS, and was a member of numerous organizations, including University Singers, The Santiago Four, The Stormy Petrel, Student Government Association, and Omicron Delta Kappa. He was also a Center for Civic Engagement Ambassador and a resident assistant.

Matt credits much of his success to Dr. Shrikhande, associate professor of communication and rhetoric studies, whose class “sparked [his] desire to work in journalism as a profession.”

“[Dr. Shrikhande’s] journalism class was by far my favorite class freshman year,” he said. “Oglethorpe is very writing intensive and [helped make] me a better writer… My advice is, if you want to be involved in journalism, find out why you want to be involved… I really appreciate the education I’m getting from Columbia. I would think about going [to Columbia] all the time, and now that I’m here, I still can’t believe it.”