Featured

Internship Spotlight: Carter Center Intern Strives to Leave an Impact

Natalia Barreto ’13 first learned of The Carter Center during her freshman year at Oglethorpe, when President Carter visited campus to discuss “Building Hope,” a video highlighting the Center’s efforts to advance human rights and alleviate unnecessary human suffering in more than 70 countries.

“It made me realize that’s what I wanted to do,” says Natalia, adding that she’s seen the video “a million” times since. The international relations/Spanish double major was inspired to apply for an internship at the Center, but found out that interns were required to be juniors or seniors. Undeterred, she assisted the Center for two years as a volunteer, earning personal recognition from the Carters with a certificate of appreciation.

Thanks to her volunteer work and perseverance, Natalia eventually landed an internship the Center’s development department, During that fall semester, she interned for 12 hours of credit, which equated to working a full work week. In her position, Natalia worked with donors for peace programs and communicating with new donors.

“Saving the world is possible,” says Natalia, “and that’s what I love about working at the Carter Center. I see a true impact in society.”