Life Lessons through Civic Engagement

Author Christina Bayne ’12 (left) and Janet Wood ’13 get to know two participants in the Charleston Miracle League.

Senior year is a time filled with memories and reflections as an undergraduate student. It’s a time where the brink of new beginnings is just around the corner as the college chapter closes and the real world beckons ahead. Looking back on my senior year at Oglethorpe, I immediately recall how all the painful all-nighters of hitting the books actually translated into real world experiences—often in the most unlikely of places.

Commonly referred to on campus as the “aha” or “light bulb” moment, this epiphany instance is revealed after connections from within the classroom are suddenly recognized in real life. I have encountered many “aha” moments as an OU student and relate many of them through my involvement with the Center for Civic Engagement.

Christina-Bayne-12_ASB-2012-213-300x225[1]

Sam Lyon ’15 and Christina Bayne ’12 make dessert for Alternative Spring Breakers. Each student helped prepare meals as part of the communal living experience during their week away volunteering in Charleston.

As a Sociology/Social Work student, I studied and took many classes that focused on people, culture and the environment in which these factors worked to shape individuals and their conditions. These topics came to life the further I involved myself within CCE programs. Whether I was helping middle school students plan a service project, or tutoring ESL at an elementary school, or spending my entire spring break dedicated to service with passionate staff and students, or writing biographies for hospice patients, every unique project was knitted together by wonderful memories and incredible lessons.

These special moments have fueled personal growth that inspired career aspirations, an awareness for community advocacy, lasting friendships, and valuable skills that I will carry well beyond my college years. Whether you’re an Oglethorpe senior slowly closing the door to undergrad or a freshman opening the gates to the most exciting four years of your life, it’s never too early or too late to experience community involvement through the Center for Civic Engagement.

Regardless of majors, talents or campus involvement, I’m confident that even in the most unexpected of moments, connections from within the classroom will translate into real life lessons through civic involvement. I can’t imagine a more satisfying experience within higher learning that’s now leading to a successful future gleaming ahead.