AmeriCorps Volunteer Helped Oglethorpe Students to Make a Difference

Since 2006, Oglethorpe University has collaborated with Hands On Atlanta’s AmeriCorps program, which brings its volunteers to campus to help plan civic engagement opportunities for students. Alicia Morris, the most recent volunteer, served at Oglethorpe from August 2011 until May 2012. A 2007 graduate of Philadelphia’s La Salle University, Alicia has a BA in political science and interned at the Carter Center in 2010.  With her service complete, she leaves Oglethorpe with a fond farewell:

I would like to thank everyone for an unforgettable experience here at Oglethorpe.  As many of you know I have spent the past 10 months as the Hands on Atlanta/AmeriCorps member for Oglethorpe’s Center for Civic Engagement (CCE).

While here, I have had the pleasure of working on several programs and projects on and off campus to provide volunteer opportunities for Oglethorpe students, including Alternative Winter Break in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Alternative Spring Break in Charleston, S.C., college readiness programs with South Atlanta School of Law and Social Justice, afterschool programs with Lynwood Park Recreation Center, and Oglethorpe’s Annual Days of Service.

I have been very fortunate to participate in the Hands On Atlanta Program, which focuses on educating Atlanta’s youth.  Some AmeriCorps members were placed in elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools assisting in math and reading, while others focused on college readiness, administrative tasks.  I am grateful that the Hands On Atlanta and CCE staff saw enough potential in me to know that I could handle the only AmeriCorps position at an Atlanta college or university.

It means so much to me to have the opportunity to be in a field that I love. I look forward to using all that I have learned from this experience to continue my career and education in nonprofit management.  Thank you all again for your kindness,  patience, and support.

Alicia Morris (right) and the Center of Civic Engagement staff showed their volunteer spirit in the shopping cart parade during this year’s Oglethorpe Day celebration.