Each day of Spirit Week ushered in a different theme:
- Monday, February 6 was Geek Day and the suspenders were in full swing as students embraced their inner geek spirit.
- February 7 was Tacky Tuesday, when being tacky was the new chic as students broke out their ugliest sweaters. (Wow!)
- Wednesday was the annual Oglethorpe Day, honoring our school’s namesake. Students showed their Oglethorpe pride and came out in record numbers to watch the Petrels of Fire Race, a decades-long tradition in which runners try to circle the quad and beat the tolling of the noon bells. (Still no winner this year…)
A contest for highest class participation on Oglethorpe Day was won by the Class of 2015. As a prize, February 15 was declared Freshmen Day and members of the class enjoyed a Freshmen Feast, provided by Campus Life.
After the race, students (and staff!) participated in a shopping carts “floats” parade, decorated by student organizations and university departments. Sigma Sigma Sigma took home the prize for the best 2012 Homecoming Float.
The parade led to the Conant Performing Arts Center for a presentation on “What Happens in Cuba Doesn’t Stay in Cuba,” given by faculty and students who traveled to Cuba over winter break as part of a semester-long study of the historic, economic, political and cultural facets of the country.
- Thursday was deemed Black & Gold Day and students proudly wore the OU colors and participated in that evenings Homecoming bonfire.
- Friday was Spirit Shirt Day and the day of the Homecoming games. The battle with Sewanee was set and Oglethorpe students were riled up from a week of spirit-building. The game ended with a 69-49 win over Sewanee.
Students seemed more passionate than ever at this year’s Homecoming game and that was not overlooked. Student Government Association awarded the first-ever Oglethorpe University Homecoming Spirit Award trophy. This year’s winner was Kappa Sigma, a new fraternity on campus.
The grand finale of the Spirit Week fun was “A Starry Night in Paris,” Saturday’s Homecoming dance at the Westin Hotel Atlanta.