Sharing the Oglethorpe Experience

It was a real treat to recently attend a college fair on behalf of Oglethorpe. It was hosted at a very large high school, just north of Dallas, Texas—and it was probably the first time I’ve stepped foot into a high school in close to two decades (how did that happen?!)

I knew I was long since removed from the high school scene when I realized I could better relate to the parents that evening than the students. I was a bit concerned as I wondered how I was going to connect with a teenager who probably doesn’t have any clue what direction she wants for her life—and how I was going to “sell” her on the idea of an ultra small, private liberal arts school in the heart of Atlanta, more than 800 miles away.

The answer, of course, was in the question. Although I never had students waiting in line to see me (unlike the other OU), the handful of students who did stop by to see me admitted they were intrigued by the name of our alma mater. When I started talking to these seniors, juniors—even sophomores—it became clear that while I couldn’t answer some of the questions that a professional admission counselor could, I could absolutely share my enthusiasm and appreciation for my time spent getting an education at the greatest liberal arts school in America.

Would you like to share your Oglethorpe experience with prospective Petrels?  Contact Alumni Relations Director Barbara Bessmer Henry ’85.

Pictured: Kelly hangs out with Oglethorpe mascot Petey at a recent alumni event. Kelly lives in Dallas, Tex., where she is the marketing communications manager for The Container Store. She currently chairs the Alumni Communications Committee for the Alumni Board.