Louisa Barama ’12 Shines at U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships

Last month, we told you about Louisa Barama ’12, a hard-working OU student who was looking to finish her figure skating season with a trip to the U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships in Idaho.  She’s back from the competition, and we’re proud to announce that she represented Oglethorpe remarkably, scoring 70.78 and placing seventh overall.

“I am proud of my accomplishment,” said Louisa, a physics major and rising senior. “This experience was amazing and I am so glad I finished well. This is a great competition and I really enjoyed every part of it.”

The U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships is  sanctioned by U.S. Figure Skating, and is the longest running collegiate ice skating program.  Since most colleges don’t sponsor figure skating clubs or teams, solo skaters like Louisa represent their college at the event, competing for both individual and school pride.  This year, Oglethorpe was the only college or university  from the state of Georgia with an athlete at nationals, for both the junior and senior divisions of the championship.

Since returning from the championships, Louisa’s been featured in a number of online and print journals, including the Patch online newspapers and the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Congratulations, Louisa!

Photo:  Louisa receives encouragement from her coach at the Atlanta Open during a past season showcase.